All errors should be reported to DonSurber@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Travel group lied about the so-called Muslim ban

The Hill ran a headline on February 9:
Trump’s immigration ban cost business-travel industry $185M: report
To be fair, that was news, but the travel industry lied.



From the Hill:
President Trump’s immigration ban — which was put on hold after one week — may have cost $185 million in business-travel bookings, according to a new report from the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA).
Using industry data, the GBTA compared business-travel transaction levels in the week before and the week after Trump signed the executive order on immigration and refugees. 
The research found that travel bookings increased 1.2 percent the week before the travel ban, but decreased by 2.2 percent the week after, for a net decrease of 1 percent. That amounts to an estimated $185 million loss for the business-travel industry, the report says.
May have cost.

Then again it may not have cost.

They did not know. And that would have been a loss of $185 million in an economy 100,000 times as large. I am not advocating that, but some perspective is necessary.

Now five months later, the Wall Street Journal reported:
International arrivals and travel-related spending are up in 2017 compared with the same period in 2016.
There might even be a "Trump bump," says Roger Dow, CEO of the U.S. Travel Association, a nonprofit representing the travel industry.
A few months ago, Dow and others warned that President Donald Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric and ban on travel from a handful of mostly Muslim countries could send an anti-tourism message.
But "impending doom hasn't manifested itself," Dow said in an interview. "Right now we cannot identify a loss. It's contrary to everything we've heard, but travel is in slightly better shape than it was a year ago. Everyone wants me to tell the story of the sky is falling, but for the travel industry, the sky is not falling."
Latest numbers from the U.S. Travel Association's Travel Trends Index showed 6.6 percent growth in international travel to the U.S. in April and 5 percent growth in May compared with the same months last year. The Travel Trends Index uses hotel, airline and U.S. government data.
The doom and gloom was a lie.

Journalists should bear that in mind the next time the Global Business Travel Association spouts off.

By the way, the one reason I won't visit England again is Muslim terrorism. I always wanted to return when I retired to London (I spent a week there in 1977) but I that ended when I realized England won't fight terrorism.

Maybe Trump's willingness to combat terrorism made America a safe haven, which is why visitations are up.




Caution: Readers occasionally may laugh out loud at the media as they read this account of Trump's election.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback.



Caution: Readers occasionally may laugh out loud at the media as they read this account of Trump's nomination.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback.

Autographed copies of both books are available by writing me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Please follow me on Twitter.

Friend me on Facebook.

9 comments:

  1. "that ended when I realized England won't fight terrorism."

    Same reason I won't be taking any more vacations in Germany or Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1, DK. Nein to Deutschland. Ja to West Virginia. We're gonna spend money getting more acquainted with our new home state.

      Delete
  2. Pretty much all of western Europe is not fighting. I read that the Danes are keeping out Muslims, as is eastern (once-Communist) Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent most of the 70s living in Turkey, Spain and Germany - and hitch hiked around the region a bit. I would love to go back, but I realized that I really want to go "back" to when I was there. Before PC, before dhimmitude, when Turkey was still on the Kemalist path.

    Not any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been to Europe more times than I have fingers, other than Ireland, Eastern Europe and maybe Scotland, Europe is not on my bucket list. I wanted to take a civilian Med cruise, I was in the Navy, but the increased terrorism and the past, the MS Achille Lauro, takes Med cruising even off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. travel up as it is safer to fly now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello??? Whenever the dollar is strong, the travel industry takes a hit. I'd think someone in the business would know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only the soccer hooligan can save England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But Don, Paris is so beautiful this time of year, what with all the carbeques lighting up the night sky.
    Is there anything more romantic than the smell of nine hundred Fiats smouldering?
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/07/17/trumps-paris-migrant-900-cars-burned/

    ReplyDelete