All errors should be reported to DonSurber@gmail.com

Monday, June 12, 2017

CNN blames its woes on Trump

Brian Stetler, CNN's media critic, tried to blast President Trump on Sunday.

It backfired. Anyone with a laptop and a few minutes to waste could easily show Stetler engaged in the half-truths that lead the American people mistrust CNN and its colleagues in journalistic malpractice.



Stetler had this rant on Sunday:
Welcome back to Reliable Sources. If you don't believe the media, then you probably don't believe that the Trump administration has had a dysfunctional few months. If you don't believe the media, you might not believe Russia's meddling in last year's election is a very big deal. Trust in the media has been low for years and getting lower. And the President feeds that inherent distrust with tweets like this.
Here he is this morning saying: “The fake news MSM doesn’t report the great economic news since Election Day.” Obviously, the press does report on job creation, stock market records, et cetera. Their entire business channels. But what I think he means is he wants the press to report it more often, more positively.
In any case, we can see how this anti-media rhetoric is having a real effect. A new Quinnipiac poll shows that more than half the country, 52 percent, believes Trump has changed attitudes towards the news media for the worse. 22 percent say he’s changed attitudes for the better. And 20 percent say he hasn't had an impact.
Indeed, that is what the poll said.

Quinnipiac asked: "Do you believe that President Trump has changed American attitudes towards the news media for the better, for the worse, or hasn't President Trump had an impact on American attitudes towards the news media?"

So what he said was true.

What Stetler did not say was Quinnipiac also asked: "I am going to mention four phrases and ask you which one best describes how you feel about the job the news media has been doing covering American politics. Do you feel enthusiastic, satisfied but not enthusiastic, dissatisfied but not angry, or angry?"

10% said enthusiastic and 30% said satisfied, for a total of 40%.

33% said dissatisfied and 26% said angry, for a total of 59%.

The fact that only 40% of the customers are satisfied with the service should have been included in Stetler's remarks because it shows that the media's problems are larger than Trump.

And a March poll by Quinnipiac found:
Trump is even with the media, but lower than the courts and intelligence agencies, in winning American voters' trust:
  • A total of 34 percent of voters say they can trust Trump to do what is right "almost all of the time" or "most of the time;"
  • A total of 52 percent of voters say they can trust the courts to do what is right "almost all of the time" or "most of the time;"
  • A total of 51 percent of voters say they can trust U.S. intelligence agencies to do what is right "almost all of the time" or "most of the time;"
  • A total of 34 percent of voters say they can trust the media to do what is right "almost all of the time" or "most of the time."

Only 34% of the public trusts the media.

You cannot blame President Trump for that failure.

Only 40% of the media's customers are satisfied today.

That bodes poorly for the media.

Oh, CNN's audience numbers are up. MSNBC too. The New York Times and Washington Post boast about increased online subscriptions. Paper subscriptions may be another story.

However. increasingly the mainstream media has become a boutique news service that only serves half the country, feeding them a steady diet of anti-Trump screeds while ignoring his accomplishments.

CNN gave more coverage to covfefe than infrastructure week.

CNN peddled the Golden Showers story -- albeit indirectly.

CNN told us Comey would blow the lid off President Trump.

Obviously, Trump is not to blame for the distrust of the media.

The media is.

Stetler's network and most of the media want as customers only those who support Hillary.

We Trump supporters are deplorable in the eyes of most of the media.

The feeling is mutual.




On November 8, 2016, the American people said, "Trump the Establishment!"

Now read the book that explains how and why the press missed this historic election.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback.


And then read the original, "Trump the Press," which chronicled and mocked how the media missed Trump's nomination.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback

Autographed copies of both books are available by writing me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Please follow me on Twitter.

Friend me on Facebook.

7 comments:

  1. They could have made this another glitzy "Camelot" but nooooo, they chose to be ankle-biters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason 40% are satisfied is probably because those people are getting their coverage from alternative media they are happy with. Like your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Stetler's network and most of the media want as customers only those who support Hillary."

    Niche marketing - it's real. And I'm happy to let them be "more selective". {IOW: will someone post on a blog when CNN goes under the hammer?}

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not like CNN was tagged the Clinton News Network last week. My God, the lack of introspection with these guys is staggering. They could simply going the route of reporting the news, having relatively equal panels discuss the news, offer opinion as opinion, and guess what, people would watch. Simple stuff, really. But, at this point they're so far down the rabbit hole I'm not sure they could ever regain anyone's trust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Stetler: How many rumors about who is going to be cashiered from the Trump administration - Bannon, Priebus, Kushner, etc. - have we been given by the media?

    How many of those rumors have actually panned out?

    Now - exactly how many rumors about the Trump administration that your employer and its compatriots have actually been accurate?

    zero.zero

    Up your accuracy and then we'll talk, alright?


    -Mikey NTH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trump has done nothing to change my mind about the media. The media has done it all,for the worse, worser, worst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The media, not just CNN, has chosen sides.

    And the American people know it is not theirs.

    They are always surprised when we hate them back.

    ReplyDelete