Wednesday, April 26, 2017

I'm so old, I remember when the repeal was dead

Oh, how the anti-Trump media danced on what they pretended was the grave of Trump's presidency in March.

From Mother Jones: "Obamacare Repeal Is Dead."

From Crain's Chicago Business on March 24: "Obamacare repeal bid dead after Ryan cancels vote."

From Reason on March 24: "The GOP’s Obamacare Repeal Bill Is Dead Because Trump Doesn’t Understand How Health Policy Works."

From Politico on March 27: "Obamacare repeal is dead. Long live Obamacare?"

From Taegan Goddard on March 29: "Obamacare Repeal Is Still Dead."

Zero Hedge doubled down on the stupid: "Suddenly, Both Obamacare Repeal And Trump Tax Reform Are Dead."

But what did I tell readers?

Hang in there.

From March 19:
The repeal is coming, and it will be beautiful
Amid all the cries of Obamacare Lite, the truth is we are well on our way toward the repeal and replacement of Obamacare with a very solid plan that will get the economy moving.
This is sausage making but the pork, red wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, paprika, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, brown sugar, oregano, and thyme are all there for a good law.
I dismissed the cries of dead from all those people who got 2016 wrong -- and cited an expert, Grover Norquist:
The Congressional Budget Office released its study of Trump and Paul Ryan's plan to repeal Obamacare and begin to reform our health-care system. It had many numbers. Only two mattered: taxes and spending.
CBO announced that the repeal bill reduces taxes by almost $900 billion and reduces federal spending by $1.2 trillion over the next decade. This reduces deficit spending by $300 billion over the next 10 years.
Thus the CBO, as official umpire, announced that the GOP Obamacare repeal plan may be enacted through "reconciliation," the process that requires a simple majority in the House and only 51 votes in the Senate. No filibuster allowed.
Actually 50 votes are needed with Vice President Mike Pence breaking the tie, but I am not going to quibble over parliamentary rules.

What do we have today?

From the Hill:
The House Freedom Caucus on Wednesday announced it will back the GOP's healthcare plan now that an amendment allowing states to opt out of key ObamaCare rules is included.
The group of roughly 30 hard-line conservatives held out for weeks, scuttling a planned House vote on the bill last month after it became clear there was't enough Republican support to pass it.
The group said it sees the new amendment, brokered by Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) and centrist Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-N.J.), as the best option short of fully repealing the 2010 law.
"While the revised version still does not fully repeal Obamacare, we are prepared to support it to keep our promise to the American people to lower healthcare costs," the Freedom Caucus said in a statement.
"We look forward to working with our Senate colleagues to improve the bill. Our work will continue until we fully repeal Obamacare."
The death of the repeal -- and the Trump presidency -- was a lie.

A fabrication.

A fiction devised by Washington insiders to sabotage a presidency they could not stop.

They knew it was not dead -- and yet they tried to sell this to the public as failure.

This is Day 97 of the best eight years of our lives. Enjoy.

Personal business: I have shaken the head cold that lasted the 10 days I was in the Republic of Korea for my son's marriage. It was a traditional wedding on Easter Sunday. I wore the costume, as did both sons, our son-in-law, our daughter, and of course the beautiful bride.

The pictures are back. I look like Dad walking around in his bathrobe. And I thought I was so cool. Because I have enemies, I cannot share the photos with readers online. Sigh.

Top down day in Poca, West Virginia. It rained when I was gone. A lot.



The original, "Trump the Press" chronicled and mocked how the media missed Trump's nomination.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback.
Then came "Trump the Establishment," covering the election, which again the media missed.

It is available on Kindle, and in paperback.

Autographed copies of both books are available by writing me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Please follow me on Twitter.

Friend me on Facebook.

14 comments:

  1. Actually, if I didn't know anything else, I would have guessed that repeal was back on the table by just perusing the articles listed on RealClearPolitics right now. Right there in the middle is Sarah Kliff with her latest missive "Obamacare Keeps Getting More Popular". Such articles had vanished last month after Ryan cancelled the vote, and now reappear like magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should read Real Unclear Propaganda.

      Delete
  2. Don't nobody use that expression about "opening the kimono a little" around Don.

    Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your dad wore a robe, Don...

    Anyway (quickly getting off that visual), now the MacArthur amendment has viagrial strength and has taken on magical powers.

    Slow walking. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh wait; 100 days is almost up.

    You should see my Uniparty voodoo doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to miss the photos. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You MUST be mistaken. How can YOU have enemies? You live in a very very small town, far away from either coast.
    I'm just So confused. I haven't read ANYTHING that would ruffle anyone's sensibilities. Right?
    Rich in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a problem if ObamaCare is taken apart piece by piece.

    The constant complaining is very draining, but I can mostly ignore it.

    -Mikey NTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the complaining, Mikey. We do have some whingers on our side. The Are We There Yet? conservatives

      Delete
    2. It is tiring, isn't it.

      Some sites I visit have almost daily a post such as, "How President Trump is letting me down again."

      Sometimes I respond by asking if they regret their vote- wouldn't Hillary have been the better choice? Usually, though, I just sigh and move on.

      I guess they're tired of all this winning!

      Delete
  7. What's being proposed is yet another Amendment to Obamacare. NOT a repeal.

    RyanCare, with minor modifications.

    Virtually all of Obamacare is still being left intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, dude, the Demmie MO on effecting radical change is typically incrementalism. Obamacare was an exception - they were feeling flush with power and decided to go for the whole enchilada. I'm OK with the "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach. Just keep movin them chains. And keep the pressure on our guys.

      Delete
  8. Awww, I miss the photos!

    My daughter got married in Bali. As father of the bride, I wore a batik sarong with a white shirt; it was a gorgeous ceremony, and I didn't stand out in the slightest (peacocks fade in comparison to how my daughter looked, and her wedding party was also wonderfully garbed, mostly in traditional Balinese attire.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I miss the photos!

    My daughter got married in Bali. As father of the bride, I wore a batik sarong with a white shirt; it was a gorgeous ceremony, and I didn't stand out in the slightest (peacocks fade in comparison to how my daughter looked, and her wedding party was also wonderfully garbed, mostly in traditional Balinese attire.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still standing firmly for Trump, however...

    I live in Texas and voted for him on one issue, immigration. If he double-crosses me on DACA, that's a deal-breaker.

    ReplyDelete