"Trump the Establishment" is now on sale! Click to order.

And the Kindle version is here.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Kellyanne learns the Trump way

Usually a campaign manager teaches a candidate marketing and handling the media. Certainly Kellyanne Conway is expert at both. Indeed her Twitter link is not (her name), rather it is @KellyannePolls so you see her name, then her company.

But when it comes to branding and handling the media, none is better than Donald Trump.


Which brings us to microwave cameras.

Sounds stupid.

But it may be brilliant.

She gave an interview to Rich Kelly of the Bergen Record, which was published on Sunday:
“What I can say is there are many ways to surveil each other,” Conway said as the Trump presidency marked its 50th day in office during the weekend. “You can surveil someone through their phones, certainly through their television sets — any number of ways.”
Conway went on to say that the monitoring could be done with “microwaves that turn into cameras,” adding: “We know this is a fact of modern life.”
Now we know that is not true, and Stephen Colbert used it in a clever parody on his show on Monday night. Fair enough.

That gave the Fake News media something to guffaw about -- even as they become dark and suicidal as it sinks in that President Trump really is the president for the next four -- likely eight -- years.

And maybe she gaffed.

But remember Salena Zito's Razor:
The press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally.
Trump has taught Kellyanne the Art of the Squeal. He makes a faux pas, the press pounces, and that only serves to underline his point.

In this case, her point is that surveillance is easy and ubiquitous. We now live in a world where your Samsung television is watching you.

Now then, nothing in this life is free. This play does not expand your brand per se. Witness Colbert's use of it to solidify his standing as the go-to late-night host for mocking Trump. But the Gaffe Gambit serves to strengthen support among your supporters.

Trump may never top 50% in favorability, but his floor is 40% and they are very strong supporters.

I predict Kellyanne will when all this is over will say that she learned more from Donald Trump than anyone in her life. Maybe outside her Mom.

That's because Kellyanne is learning.

When you are a Democrat, you can ignore the press because ultimately, the press will have your back.

Trump is teaching Republicans how to use the press. It is fascinating, and very entertaining to watch.



"Trump the Establishment" is now on Kindle.

"Trump the Establishment" is also available in paperback.

This is the sequel to "Trump the Press," which covered the nomination. The original -- "Trump the Press" -- is available on Kindle, or in paperback on Amazon.

Autographed copies are available by writing me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Please follow me on Twitter.

Friend me on Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. The Press Sylvesters keep expecting a mouse, instead they get whomped by Kangaroo Kellyanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent analogy! Me, I'd go for the magician who gets your attention with one hand, and pulls the pigeon out of the hat with the other.

      Delete
  2. I keep a heavy dark cloth over my microwave oven just to be safe. When I watch TV, I always turn the screen away from me so it doesn't watch me as I watch it. LOL.

    I'm a proud, paranoid Luddite when it comes to the IoT and social media. I keep my public footprint as small as can be. My cell phone, for example, is an old flip phone. I'm not even sure it can text. I've never texted a single msg in my entire life. I use it about once every two or three weeks, then turn it off and stick it in a drawer. Prepaid plan: less than $50 a year.

    I have no Twitter account, no Facebook account, no Instagram account. Don't need 'em, don't care. It's impossible, I know, but I would prefer to be NSA-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little does my TV know that the Columbia Record Club was a front organization to enable the radio and the hi-fi to surveil that proliferatin', pixellatin' SOB.

      Delete
  3. The Amana colony turned out to be a Russian plot. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So THAT's why my RadarRange was on all night!

      Delete
  4. Microwave towers?

    I agree that nothing is said by Team Trump without thought, even the apparent mis-statements. When the other shoe drops, it will be forceful and devastating. Trump University is back in session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She did not say "microwave ovens" she said "microwaves".
    Which can be used to gather data.
    The press is hearing what they want to hear, not what is said.

    ReplyDelete