Friday, February 17, 2017

Trump galvanized conservatives

Nominees slow-tracked. A travel ban hijacked. Russians hacked. Flynn whacked. Decks stacked. Some conservatives were getting nervous about whether Trump was up to the task.

So he called a press conference on Thursday, made reporters sit and wait for over a half-hour, and then laid wood into the press corps.

Conservatives cheered.

From Ari Fleischer to Charles Krauthammer to Rush Limbaugh to Roger L. Simon and beyond, they cheered someone standing up for them -- one man against the press.

First President Trump said:
Unfortunately, much of the media in Washington, D.C., along with New York, Los Angeles in particular, speaks not for the people, but for the special interests and for those profiting off a very, very obviously broken system. The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about, we are doing a tremendous disservice to the American people. Tremendous disservice. We have to talk to find out what’s going on, because the press honestly is out of control. The level of dishonesty is out of control.
Then listed his accomplishments: starting trade talks with Trudeau, May, Abe, and others; dumping the job-killing TPP; rescinding regulations; getting companies to invest in jobs; defending the country; cracking down on sanctuary cities; backing law enforcement; opening pipelines...

Then he took questions. A good reporter, Mara Liasson of NPR, was first. Trump said, "Go ahead. You were cut off pretty violently at our last news conference."

She asked about firing Flynn. He explained:
Mike Flynn is a fine person, and I asked for his resignation. He respectfully gave it. He is a man who there was a certain amount of information given to Vice President Pence, who is with us today. And I was not happy with the way that information was given.
He didn’t have to do that, because what he did wasn’t wrong — what he did in terms of the information he saw. What was wrong was the way that other people, including yourselves in this room, were given that information, because that was classified information that was given illegally. That’s the real problem.
And, you know, you can talk all you want about Russia, which was all a, you know, fake news, fabricated deal, to try and make up for the loss of the Democrats and the press plays right into it. In fact, I saw a couple of the people that were supposedly involved with all of this — that they know nothing about it; they weren’t in Russia; they never made a phone call to Russia; they never received a phone call.
It’s all fake news. It’s all fake news. The nice thing is, I see it starting to turn, where people are now looking at the illegal — I think it’s very important — the illegal, giving out classified information. It was — and let me just tell you, it was given out like so much.
I explained on Tuesday that Flynn was not forthcoming. A CEO will not tolerate obfuscation. As long as you view Trump as a politician or a celebrity, you will not get him. He's a CEO.

Witness this answer to a follow-up question by a different reporter:
No, I fired him because of what he said to Mike Pence. Very simple. Mike was doing his job. He was calling countries and his counterparts. So, it certainly would have been OK with me if he did it. I would have directed him to do it if I thought he wasn’t doing it.
I didn’t direct him, but I would have directed him because that’s his job. And it came out that way — and in all fairness, I watched Dr. Charles Krauthammer the other night say he was doing his job and I agreed with him. And since then, I’ve watched many other people say that.
Trump was just getting warmed up. A reporter asked, "You said that the leaks are real, but the news is fake. I guess I don’t understand. It seems that there’s a disconnect there. If the information coming from those leaks is real, then how can the stories be fake?"

As the president started to reply, the reporter began arguing. Trump cut him off:
You know what it is? Here’s the thing. The public isn’t — you know, they read newspapers, they see television, they watch. They don’t know if it’s true or false because they’re not involved. I’m involved. I’ve been involved with this stuff all my life. But I’m involved. So I know when you’re telling the truth or when you’re not. I just see many, many untruthful things.
And I’ll tell you what else I see. I see tone. You know the word “tone.” The tone is such hatred. I’m really not a bad person, by the way. No, but the tone is such — I do get good ratings, you have to admit that — the tone is such hatred.
I watched this morning a couple of the networks. And I have to say, Fox & Friends in the morning, they’re very honorable people. They’re very — not because they’re good, because they hit me also when I do something wrong. But they have the most honest morning show. That’s all I can say. It’s the most honest.
The press is dishonest and finally a Republican leader is calling the press on it.

And there was this from Trump:
No, that’s how I won. I won with news conferences and probably speeches. I certainly didn’t win by people listening to you people. That’s for sure. But I’m having a good time.
Tomorrow, they will say, “Donald Trump rants and raves at the press.” I’m not ranting and raving. I’m just telling you. You know, you’re dishonest people. But — but I’m not ranting and raving. I love this. I’m having a good time doing it.
But tomorrow, the headlines are going to be, “Donald Trump rants and raves.” I’m not ranting and raving.
Later, Jim Acosta of CNN, suffering butt hurt, asked, "When you call it Fake News, you’re undermining confidence in our news media [inaudible] important."

Trump:
No, no. I do that. Here’s the thing. OK. I understand what you’re — and you’re right about that, except this. See, I know when I should get good and when I should get bad. And sometimes I’ll say, “Wow, that’s going to be a great story.” And I’ll get killed.
I know what’s good and bad. I’d be a pretty good reporter, not as good as you. But I know what’s good. I know what’s bad. And when they change it and make it really bad, something that should be positive — sometimes something that should be very positive, they’ll make OK. They’ll even make it negative.
So I understand it. So, because I’m there. I know what was said. I know who’s saying it. I’m there. So it’s very important to me.
Look, I want to see an honest press. When I started off today by saying that it’s so important to the public to get an honest press. The press — the public doesn’t believe you people anymore. Now, maybe I had something to do with that. I don’t know. But they don’t believe you. If you were straight and really told it like it is, as Howard Cosell used to say, right?
Of course, he had some questions also. But if you were straight, I would be your biggest booster. I would be your biggest fan in the world, including bad stories about me. But if you go - as an example, you’re CNN, I mean it’s story after story after story is bad. I won. I won. And the other thing, chaos because zero chaos. We are running - this is a fine-tuned machine and Reince happens to be doing a good job but half of his job is putting out lies by the press.
You know, I said to him yesterday this whole Russia scam that you guys are building so that you don’t talk about the real subject which is illegal leaks, but I watched him yesterday working so hard to try and get that story proper. And I’m saying “here’s my chief of staff,” a really good guy, did a phenomenal job at RNC. I mean, he won the election, right?
We won the presidency. We got some senators, we got some -- all over the country, you take a look, he’s done a great job. And I said to myself, you know -- and I said to somebody that was in the room, I said “you take a look at Reince, he’s working so hard just putting out fires that are fake fires.” I mean, they’re fake. They’re not true. And isn’t that a shame because he’d rather be working on healthcare, he’d rather be working on tax reform, Jim.
Trump took their questions and took them to school.

Fake News is not news you disagree with.

Fake News is made-up stuff.

Trump ended the press conference:
This isn’t Donald Trump that divided a nation. We went eight years with President Obama and we went many years before President Obama. We lived in a divided nation. And I am going to try -- I will do everything within my power to fix that. I want to thank everybody very much.
It’s a great honor to be with you. Thank you. Thank you very much, thanks.
Conservatives have searched for nearly three decades for their next Reagan.

They got Trump instead.

Different era. Reagan never had the House, and had the Senate for only six years. He had no press and no Twitter.

Trump has the House, the Senate, Fox News, and Twitter.

And on Thursday, he finally became the undisputed champion of the conservative movement.

Lead.

We shall follow.

@@@

"Trump the Establishment," my look at the general election, is available in paperback at Create Space, or if you prefer or (via Instapundit) Amazon as a paperback.

The Kindle version of "Trump the Establishment" debuts March 1. Amazon is now taking orders.

This is the sequel to "Trump the Press," which covered the nomination. It is available on Kindle, or in paperback on Create Space.

Autographed copies are available by writing me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Please follow me on Twitter.

29 comments:

  1. Charles Krauthammer is A puke I shall never listen to.
    I find watching paint drying to be more informative than watching him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally speaking, and early on to Nov 8, I eschewed him as a typical #nevertrumper. If you saw him last night on Tucker, he not only fell on his sword but he hammered it a couple of times with an 8 lb sledge. I give him some extra credit that moves him up a grade interval or so, but he's still on probation for a semester or two.

      Not so with the morons spawned from @nro et al. and GOPe.

      Delete
    2. I've heard Krauthammer cheerleading, and speaking positively about Trump quite a bit lately. Our problem is this take-no-prisoners bullshit going on with the right: if everything you say about Trump isn't positive 100% of the time, then you're a nevertrumper, GOPe, cuckservative, and so on. It's ridiculous. If you want to kick NRO in the ass, go ahead, they deserve it (I used to love reading Jonah Goldberg, can't even stomach clicking over to there any more), as do some others (I'm looking at you Kristol).

      Delete
    3. I've always liked Krauthammer. Don't always agree with him, but I appreciate his views, knowledge, and humor.

      He's a darn sight better than many.
      I know he wouldn't take the pay cut, but he'd be a lot of fun in the Senate.

      Delete
    4. Is there a reason my earlier comment got cut?

      Delete
  2. Yep. You got Fox News ... especially Shepard Smith who said yesterday,
    "It's crazy what we're watching every day. It's absolutely crazy. He keeps repeating ridiculous, throwaway lines that are not true at all and sort of avoiding this issue of Russia as if we're some kind of fools for asking the question. Really? Your opposition was hacked and the Russians were responsible for it and your people were on the phone with Russia on the same day it was happening and we're fools for asking the questions? No sir. We have a right to know. You call us fake news and put us down like children for asking questions on behalf of the American people."
    At least Trump trusts certain members of the press to the point he asks them - not his staff - to set up a meeting with the Black Congressional Caucus.
    I wonder if Putin is tired yet of making Trump look like a total wuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Putin made Obungler look like a wuss not Trump. Trump will stand up to Putin unlike Obumbler.

      Delete
    2. All the while a Russian spy ship patrols near a U.S. Naval base in plain view and four Russian fighter jets - one armed - buzz a U.S. Navy destroyer.
      Even when Trumps deputy press secretary - Bill O'Reilly - gave Trump an opening by saying Putin "is a killer" - Trump just bumbled and cowered away. Yep, this Trump is a true Reagan clone.

      Delete
    3. Shep Smith is a legend in his own mind.

      Oh -- and the Russian spy ship -- that's really a no biggie.

      Delete
    4. The Russians have been sending spy ships to our shores since the sixties (back then they were disguised as a fishing trawlers). I have no doubt they were doing this during the ☪ظ☭ma Administration but nobody in his cabal would let the news get out. Now that the manchild-in-chief is gone the security agencies feel free to leak the news.
      -Fred

      Delete
  3. He put the wood on the ball, and knocked the press out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krauthammer got to the station after the train pulled out. He is trying to act like his vitriolic attacks never occurred. Sorry Charlie.

    I am Loving our CEO in Chief implement campaign promises and pummel the lying media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the NY Post lede said this morning, it truly was The Greatest Show on Earth yesterday. Mr. Trump OWNS the media. A beautiful thing to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Putin owns Trump. God help this country.

      Delete
    2. LOL, you're funny! Not very smart, but funny. You've got your script, lousy as it is, and you're sticking to it!

      Hey, what do you think about having a "RESET" with Russia? We could get a big red plastic button (it's been updated to read "Bullshit," a Jeff Bezos special on Amazon!) and have a big press conference... oh, right, that already happened, didn't it?

      Somehow the Clinton Crime Foundation got millions of dollars richer, and the "reset" button was mistranslated, and the USA looked like fools- and Russia got 20% of OUR uranium, while Bill & Hill got big 'speaking' fees by some amazing coincidence! Podesta also made millions, just for being such a great guy.

      Everybody won but the USA! So you conclued that "Putin owns Trump." What a howler!

      Guess you forgot all that history, and your script didn't mention it. Are you getting over $10/hr for all your effort?

      Delete
    3. Russia has gotten 0 percent of our uranium you fool. As secretary of state, Clinton was one of nine voting members on the U.S. foreign investments committee that unanimously approved the purchase of a Toronto-based company which had mining operations in Kazakhstan, Tanzania and the United States to Russia’s nuclear agency. The company’s operations amounted to about 20 percent of annual U.S. production capacity. Though Russia may own the mines, the uranium coming out of them continues to belong to the U.S.

      So you support Trump trying to make nicey nice with Putin even though Clinton, Bush and Obama tried and failed cause the despot cant be trusted. Gee, then why were you alt-rights crapping your pants everytime Obama was making nicey nice a foreign leader for the 8 years? Though you are a bozo, at least you are entertaining.

      Delete
    4. Hey, that's BIG (fake) NEWS! Trot off and give that scoop to your butt-buddy Shep Smith, he really needs something to talk about. It isn't very convincing, but fake news peddlers don't seem to care.

      Oh, and don't forget to howl "the Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!" That makes it so much more believable! (Don't worry, the fact that there is NO evidence doesn't matter to the talking heads putting out the fake news.)

      Oh, BTW- Obama was only "nicey nice" to dictators that agreed with him, like Castro. He & Orange Pantsuit failed utterly with their phony "reset" as I explained above; and yes, the Russians DID get 20% of our uranium!

      Delete
  6. Well Don, you have made it big time now. Seems Soros has noticed you blog and assigned one of his paid trolls to you.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A reporter asked, "You said that the leaks are real, but the news is fake. I guess I don’t understand."

    That was Jim Acosta playing (or maybe being) stupid. Well, actually, he knows what Trump's comment meant. Acosta was just probing to see if he could get Trump to say something quotable. Remember, Acosta is the guy who rudely shouted out questions to Trump in a previous press conference and was shut down by the Prez. I don't know if you noticed it, but I thought this time Acosta was a lot more deferential towards Trump, as if he'd been chastened by the beat-down he got from DJT the last time.

    The other thing I noticed from watching most of the video of the presser is how much faster Trump's mind works than Obama's. Trump may not have a deep vocabulary---he isn't eloquent by any measure, but neither was Obama---but he certainly picks up quickly on the questions he is asked and comes right back with an answer amidst a lot of give and take. There's none of the "if if if if .... ah ah ah" stuttering and verbal bumbling of the slow-witted Obama we got used to seeing. It should be obvious to all that Obama was as much an intellectual as he was an athlete: that was all a pure fabrication of the sycophantic press, who now have to deal with someone who may not have a genius IQ, but has a lot more going on upstairs in his cranium than his predecessor ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to the whole press conference yesterday. Trump also told the press the public rates them lower than Congress! What a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Trump said was, "You have a lower approval rate than Congress, I think that's right, I don't know. I think they have lower -- I heard lower than Congress."
      But that is not true according several polls, including Gallup which is cited in this blog frequently, which say the opposite. But of course, this comes from Trump who said he had the largest electoral vote victory since Reagan, which was totally false. Clinton, H.W. and Obama all have had larger electoral vote victories since Reagan.

      A lying president who cowers to Russia - yep, that's a real hoot. Has Mexico paid for the wall yet?

      Delete
    2. So you believe the media, eh? Bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmer.

      Delete
    3. You just keep hanging onto those "ideals" and important details anonymous. Like whether Trump is right on a poll that no one cares about. What we have now is somebody who doesn't cower down like G. Bush or establishment Repubs. We like that he takes on all comers. It's better than listening to a State Department try and convince us that an unknown, terribly made video is why 4 Americans are dead in Benghazi. It's better than the truth of "You can keep your doctor" from a president who seems to cry wolf every time a white cop shoots a thug. The people who voted for Trump are tired of the BS that you eschew in fabricating worn out lies and assuming everything that went bad for dumocrats was because of "the Russians". Those of us who voted for Trump are laughing out loud at the antics of a news media that can't seem to find its butt with both hands.

      Delete
  9. What a BADASS. Incredible how gutsy this guy is. I have to assume that Trump continues, with performances like this, to win over the on the fence types - when given the choice between a weak horse and a strong horse, people like the strong horse.

    The media is widely disrespected and despised that taking them on like this and kicking their collective ass is SO much fun for so many people.

    It's another example of winning hearts and minds in popular culture, not via politics as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's the most popular subject on YOUTUBE? Other than cats, of course. Bullies losing teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing takes the starch out of a bully faster than an unexpected black eye.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need someone to explain to me how it is that the uranium that gets produced out of mines owned by Russia belongs to the United States. I guess we let them buy the mines to work them for free for us. If that's the case then I guess Hillary really was a genius.

    ReplyDelete