"Trump the Establishment" is now on sale! Click to order.

And the Kindle version is here.

Monday, January 16, 2017

"Trump the Press" reviews sum up in two words how he won

This morning I woke up and went through my usual online routine and there on Amazon were two beautiful gifts: two new reviews at Amazon of "Trump the Press."

One was from a longtime reader who stuck with me going back 30 years ago when I was a reporter. The other was from an Instapundit reader.

Because these reviews -- 69 so far -- are encouraging to me, I share them with readers. Through emails and other contracts with readers, I know most of them are busy and educated. I appreciate their taking the time to read the book, and then taking the time to review it.

From Michael Greenleaf:
Clear and convincing
This is an excellent work and is very well written. Mr. Surber's witty and sometimes sarcastic prose makes it an easy and entertaining read. On a deeper level, the book exposes the very serious matter of our biased press. Since our constitution guarantees the right of a free press, our republic depends upon accurate and unbiased reporting. It is indisputable that, even absent this book, the evidence is clear that the media is no longer unbiased. What that means for the future of the republic is unclear to me.
I understand that Mr. Surber is writing a book dealing with the post-election period. I look forward to reading it as well.
Thank you, Mr. Greenleaf.

From Hugh D.:
Excellent review of Trump's campaign for the Republican Presidential nomination!
I have been an occasionally-regular reader of Don Surber's columns as linked by Instapundit, so the tone and style of Trump the Press was what I expected it to be. Not only that but it proves to be a rollicking good read!
He presents his thesis with many illustrations, showing that Donald Trump played by a different rule book than the media expected. Trump conducted an asymmetric campaign, brilliantly taking advantage of media weaknesses to clinch the Republican nomination. I think he points to what will be analyzed in the future as either political genius or perhaps the introduction of a player possessing basic political instincts who harnessed current social media technology to outflank the self-styled gatekeepers of political discussion.
Surber has done a masterful job in exposing the vacuity of the so-called media elite, and how the media were quite brilliantly exploited by Trump in his quest for the Republican nomination in 2016. He has put a great deal of media content and commentary in each chapter to buttress his views on the current political-journalistic-opining landscape, to good effect. His narrative reads like watching history in progress on a television screen - you know the result, and you want to scream at the protagonists to watch out for the impending disaster, what has come to be seen as the very public self-immolation of America's press.
This book deals with events leading up to the Republican convention in 2016. Surber is writing a follow-up book that will cover the Presidential campaign. After reading Trump the Press. I am looking forward to read what he has to write about THAT event!
Thank you, Hugh D.

Glenn Reynolds has been very kind and encouraging to me over the years.

(Slaps forehead.) Asymmetric campaign! That's it. That's the explanation in two words of how he won.

I shall place those words alongside the 16 words Salena Zito wrote that should win her the Pulitzer: "The press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally."

Insight is not measured in length.

As a writer, I have learned my readers are smarter than me. They have experiences I do not have. But I have time and an ample supply of pixels. I read comments and learn. I could not criticize writers for being in the bubble if I did not.

Which leads to the comment of the day:
As a disabled veteran I've relied on the Veterans Administration for my health care for almost twenty years now. Up until recently getting anything done was like watching molasses in the winter time. Since Trump was elected I have seen a marked improvement in waiting times and service. I have also (finally) been enrolled in the Veterans Choice program that allows me to seek help outside the VA. So, even though he isn't actually President yet it is obvious that Trump has already made improvements at the VA. - Elric
The worst advice for a writer comes from Jonah Goldberg: "Never read the comments."

I find that the quickest way to lose readers. Certainly, he lost me.
@@@
Please read "Trump the Press," in which I skewer media experts who wrongly predicted Trump would lose the Republican nomination. "Trump the Press" is available as a paperback, and on Kindle.

It covers the nomination process only. The general election will be covered in a sequel.

For an autographed copy, email me at DonSurber@GMail.com

Be deplorable. Follow me on Twitter.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, "asymmetric campaign" are two words that are easily skipped over as one reads Hugh D.'s review, but they perfectly embody and expand upon the idea Salena Zito conveyed in her pithy sentence. His two words and her sentence go together like Lewis & Martin, Astaire & Rogers. What a terrific insight by both writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, asymmetric warfare, like guerilla warfare, is dangerous to those on both sides, but it really works when your opponent is certain of his rightness and smartness...and your stupidity/inferiority. Which the Dems and media minions did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latest Project Veritas Video
    Caught Red Handed - Leftist caught on tape planning criminal activity at Trump inauguration

    http://commoncts.blogspot.com/2017/01/caught-red-handed-leftist-caught-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve in GreensboroJanuary 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM

    "Asymmetric campaign"?

    If by "asymmetric" you mean that Trump was willing to defend the American people by enforcing the border and the Harpy wasn't, then yes it was asymmetric.

    Obama-Romney was a contest between two amnesty-traitors. Obama-McCain, Bush-Kerry, Bush-Gore also contests between two amnesty-traitors.

    So, yes, in that sense the 2016 contest was asymmetrical. Trump didn't play fair because he said he was going to defend the American people. We will see if he follows through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ""Asymmetric campaign"

    So I'm assuming the asymmetry refers to MSM's unfavourable mouth/cajones ratio?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Trump's WH pressers should be held at the Motel 6 outside of Martinsburg...

    "Looking through the bent back tulips
    To see how the other half lives
    Looking through a glass onion..."

    Yo, one last thing to you Trumpkins out there. Do not go to the Inauguration. You'll get arrested while the, uh, cough, people of color go scot free. No win situation.

    ReplyDelete