Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

It's the message, not the messenger

Scott Adams of Dilbert fame believes no one sees reality because it is not necessary for our survival. Instead we each have our own little movie.

For this election, I choose Oz the Great and Powerful, a 2013 prequel to the 1939 musical, Wizard of Oz.

The quality of the prequel surprised and delighted me. James Franco in the title role is a circus magician and cad who is mistaken for the savior of Oz, and plays along. Eventually, he has to admit the truth to Glinda the Good Witch.
OZ: You know, I should tell you. I might not actually be a wizard.
GLINDA: Yes, I know.
OZ: Oh.
GLINDA: Well, at least not any kind of wizard we were expecting.
OZ: Uh, you could tell?
GLINDA: Yes. I can also tell you’re weak, selfish, slightly egotistical, and a fibber.
OZ: I see. Anything you don’t know about me?
GLINDA: Whether or not you’ll save my people.
OZ: Uh, no. I just told you, I’m not the wizard.
They turn and face the crowd that is anxious to get reassurance.
GLINDA: But they don’t know that. If you can make them believe, then you’re wizard enough. These are desperate times after all.
But he does save the people. The oddball collection that Oz puts together pull it off. They dethrone and unmask Evanora, the wicked witch, and regain Emerald City.

And so it goes with Donald Trump and the election of 2016. On Tuesday, he closed a speech in Pennsylvania by saying:
I am not a politician. My only special interest is you, the American people. The guiding rule of the political class in Washington, D.C., is that they are looking out only for themselves. They will say anything, and do anything, to cling to their power and prestige at your expense. I’m running to change and reverse decades of failure, and to work with the American people to create generations of success.
Trump is wizard enough. He is no politician, and yet he has the political skills to stop a real life Evanora.

He has his money, his charm, and his Blarney (although his ancestry is German and Scot). For all his bluster, he has a lion's heart. Like Oscar Diggs, he may think he is no wizard -- that he is a humbug -- but Trump knows the four magic words.
Make America Great Again.
That is all this election is about. We have on the one hand an indoctrinated group of people with B.A.s who do not know jack. They regurgitate the communist tripe about America being a genocidal, slave-owning nation filled with all the deplorables on Earth. There is no god but government to these poor lost souls.

Then there are the rest of us.

The polls, the pundits, and the press are wrong because they concentrate on personalities, and ignore the real issue of this campaign:

I'm With Her, or Make America Great Again?

Underneath it all, Oscar Diggs was a good man. Readers of my book know that about Donald Trump as well. Be brave. We have six days to go. Our movie has a happy ending.

@@@

Please read "Trump the Press," a fun romp through the Republican nomination that uses the deadliest weapon to skewer the media experts: their own words. "Trump the Press" is available as a paperback, and on Kindle.

9 comments:

  1. Perfect, Big D! I've already given my wife a heads-up on my game plan once DJT is declared the winner:

    1) Stand up
    2) Sing Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead
    3) Sing God Bless America
    4) Contact every Trumpkin I know to start whooping it up!

    My good friends at Anheuser Busch will also be involved, of course...

    It oughta be a Really Big Shew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, behind the Wizard is Steve Bannon who should be knighted for the words that give the murder weapon it's lethality.

    From none other than one of the Politico shape shifter operatives:

    Blake Hounshell
    ‏@blakehounshell
    My takeaway from this @JoshuaGreen / @sissenberg joint: Steve Bannon is building a political Death Star

    Indeed. Probably the best metaphor ever. Even though he's probably not aligned with Princess Leia, as they all generally believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help me, Mister Wizard! - Elric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even remember hearing about that movie. Might have to look for it.

    Don, you got a great post here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank, Sam. James Franco is a delight in the film. The movie is not based on a Baum book but rather a fresh take on the enterprise. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat Caddell's vision of an '80 style blowout looking more real every day.

    PS Very eloquent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fourth grade teacher was a Witch, no kidding-/* she did not allow singing any song from the "Wizard of
    Oz" and espeically"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead."
    "DO YOU REALIZE HOW BLOOD THIRSTY THAT SONG IS!!!??"
    Same black dress every day for 50 years, flying
    monkeys,Bobby Pinck, (rhymes with..) and Karin
    Nosegay.. "TEEAACHERR!!!!"
    Thanks Don I'll have watch the Prequel
    TG McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post Don! (Well, they all are, but this one really hit home for me.) Your metaphor is perfect; he's maybe not a 'real' wizard, but he's the only one available that can, and will, do the job! (With Yankee ingenuity, I might add!)

    I've never heard anyone even mention that film, and I agree it is a hum-dinger! One of the very few films that I've seen more than once, it was so good. It has a lot of "hidden" positive moral messages, so it's a great family film too (maybe not for the very young, it's got some scary & sexy parts.) The scene with the China Doll broke my heart, while the Doll herself stole it (I think she still has it, as lately I'm heartless when it comes to criminal Democrats!)

    It's a great film, and I highly recommend it! (Mostly I only watch old films because new films are usually disgusting and/or anti-American, the swine making them just can't help themselves from throwing in propaganda.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Don! I bet there some questions about that movie on my college GED test.

    ReplyDelete