I share it with readers:
I get a lot of young people asking me: 'Why should I choose the Republican party or conservatism?'
Conservatism means we want to conserve what is good—liberty, freedom, free enterprise, self determination—so that we are in control of our lives.
The way I see it is that you don't want to just live a good life. You want to lead a good life. And if you want to be able to lead your life then you want to have a country founded on core principles that allow that to happen.
Conservatism is optimistic. It's hopeful. And it's inclusive because it applies equally to everybody.What is "what is good" to Paul Ryan and the Washington Republicans who elected him Speaker of the House?
What are they conserving? Judging by their actions, not their words, they conserve this:
1. Budget deficits. In the first sixteen years in this century, with conservatives holding at least one house of Congress or the presidency for fourteen years of those years, conservatives have approved borrow-and-spend budgets which have added $14,000,000,000,000 to the national debt. They rid out of town on a rail the last speaker to balance the budget.
2. Perjury. While we are on the subject, they refused to hold a trial after impeaching Clinton saying sex is private. But they forced Gingrich out for having an affair.
3. Obamacare. They refused to shut down government to force the issue. It's now as permanent as Medicaid.
4. Make America Small. From Lincoln to Reagan, real conservatives supported protective tariffs. Now they embrace free trade as an absolute. The party that ended slavery in the United States now looks the other way as China makes iPhones with near-slave labor.
5. Expanding the federal government. The Department of Homeland Security's mission is redundant with the FBI and the military. This new agency fights citizens, not terrorists.
6. Funding abortions. The Hyde Amendment is a meaningless fig leaf. Those annual grants to Planed Parenthood are really payments in lieu of bills for abortions for Medicaid. Paul Ryan conservatives pay and pay and pay them.
7. Business subsidies. When was the last time a conservative moved to stop Elon Musk from pocketing another billion? When was the first time?I am sure readers have better examples. If this is conservatism, then to hell with it and the horse-faced Paul Ryan it rode in on.
If Trump loses, form a Tea Party as a political organization and base it in Boston to take on both parties. Ukip started in humbler circumstances and eventually got the Brexit passed.
Really piss 'em off and read my book, "Trump the Press," which uses their own words to mock the crap out of conservative pundits. Read the reviews in the right column.
Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.
The book also available in Kindle and as a paperback on Amazon.
Autographed copies area available. Email me at DonSurber@GMail.com for details.