Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

“Do you know anybody at the Times who is pro-life?”

Chris Matthews of Hardball on MSNBC asked a hardball question of a New York Times reporter: “Do you know anybody at the Times who is pro-life?”

Yamiche Alcindor, a young star reporter, and Matthews discussed Trump's attack on the liberal bias of the press, the Daily Caller reported.

“And really this is something I think that is kind of an effective argument because people really do feel when they go and get the news that they are really getting it from these people who have some sort of plan to rig this election, or rig the economy, or don’t want to cover the real issues. When, you know, obviously the media is in some ways covering the news of the day and covering things that we think are important, but there are people making value judgments,” she said.

What is considered news (Trump calling a beauty contest winner who gained sixty pounds and became a diva "Miss Piggy") and what is not (a video showing a Hillary henchman bragging about intimidating Trump voters) matters.

Matthews interrupted: “Do you know anybody, Yamiche, at the New York Times who is pro-life?”

“That’s not a question I’m going to answer,” she laughed. “I have no idea.”

“Do you know anybody? Just, you don’t have to name names. Do you know anybody at the Times who is pro-life?” he asked.

“I have not asked my coworkers that question, I should say,” she said.

Obviously, she's not.

He should also have asked if anyone at the Times owns a gun.

She is young but she is not a lightweight reporter. She gave some insight in an interview of her last year:
QUESTION: You’ve covered some of the nation’s most controversial stories in recent years, including reaction to the shootings of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. As a reporter, was there anything you tried to do or avoid?
ALCINDOR: With both stories, as with all the stories I cover, I go in wanting to give people an honest portrayal of what I’m seeing, hearing and experiencing. I tried my best to go in with fresh eyes and find stories that showed nuances. I wrote a first-person account about how looters were being nice to me and police officers were not arresting me. And how police officers were offering me rides home and looters were offering to walk back to my car with me as they held their stolen goods while trying to get to their cars.
I try to make the story more complex than just a sound bite: “People are protesting because they’re really mad.” I interviewed George Zimmerman’s family many times because it was important to not only interview Trayvon Martin’s family but also to explain what it means for George Zimmerman’s mother and brother to go through what they’re going through. In Ferguson, I was trying to show what I was seeing and to explain that yes, people are being tear-gassed. Sometimes people thought the media was sensationalizing things there. Over 12 hours, I watched people get shot (with rubber bullets) and tear-gassed and taken away by ambulances. We’re not sensationalizing this; this is what is going on in a small city near you.
Trying to tell stories in a balanced way is important to me. That is what I love about being a journalist. There are 20 million ways to give your opinion on the Internet. The challenge I love more is the idea of showing people all the different sides and allowing them to have a more complex understanding than what nationally might come through.
Diversity.

Different sides.

Too bad the media does not have it in its own ranks.

@@@

Please read "Trump the Press," a fun romp through the Republican nomination that uses the deadliest weapon to skewer the media experts: their own words. "Trump the Press" is available as a paperback, and on Kindle.

4 comments:

  1. Separate but "equal".
    They get big media. We get Drudge.
    How many times have Aol and Huffpost changed hands the last few years?
    What's happening with TV ratings?
    Turns out diversity is only actually achieved when you aren't trying to force it down someone's throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the story of the Good Samaritan, Clinton is neither the priest nor Levite.

    She's referenced in the first sentence: "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAVE! Done it AGAIN! DANG you're good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Media are very diverse. They have Left and far Left.

    ReplyDelete