Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

The true story of Trump and the baby

I am told that one nightmare for a minister is the crying baby. Trump ran into that on Tuesday at a campaign rally in Ashburn, Virginia. Media accounts made it seem like Trump hates babies.

Not so says Will Estrada, who was there as chairman of the Loudoun County Republican Committee.

Estrada wrote of his experience.

From Estrada:
On Monday evening, a senior Trump staffer emailed me and asked me if I would be willing to give the invocation at the rally. I said I'd be happy to, but I also told him that as a born again Christian, I end my prayers with "I pray all of this in the name of Jesus." Since I know that in this day and age mentionoing the name of Jesus can offend some people, I said I'd understand if they preferred that someone else give the invocation. His response to me was: "We know that's how you pray, that's why we asked you."
Then there was the Purple Heart:
The first person to get a photo with him was an older man. We had been chatting before-hand while all of us were waiting for Trump to arrive, and he introduced himself as Lieutenant Colonel Louis Dorfman and he had served in the 82nd Airborne. He shook hands with Donald Trump, and handed him his Purple Heart saying he wanted Trump to have it as thanks for standing up for wounded vets. Trump was surprised and said something like "I can't take this!" We were all surprised and not expecting this. It was pretty cool to see the respect this veteran had for Trump.
Then there was meeting Trump:
Then it was my turn to shake hands with Trump and get my photo taken. I told Mr. Trump that I was the chairman of the Loudoun County Republican Committee and he immediately stopped and looked at me: "Will, how do I win Loudoun?" he asked me. We started talking and he called over one of his staffers. "George, these people here in Virginia know what we need to do to win Virginia." And then -- in a really cool turn of events - John Whitbeck, the GOP chairs of Prince William County and Arlington County, Trump's campaign staffer, and me are all huddled in a corner, photos forgotten, strategizing on how Trump will win Virginia. Trump didn't do a lot of talking. He listened to all of us, he made sure his staff had our emails, and he said that we would have everything we needed.
Finally came the speech and the baby:
I was there and saw and heard the entire event with the mom and baby. There was nothing to it. But then after I'm reading all the news coverage saying "Trump hates moms and babies!!!" I started to doubt myself. Did I really miss a huge story right in front of me? I started asking others who were there, including a husband and wife with young kids. And everyone in the room said the same thing: there was no story here. Trump was being funny and personable and going out of his way to make sure the mom wasn't embarrassed by making it a funny situation. My conclusion is that the media is selling us a narrative. Be very skeptical of what the media is telling you, because I saw it with my own eyes and it was something very different.
People ask me why I titled the book, "Trump the Press."

Because they would have censored the verb I wanted to use.


"Trump the Press: Don Surber's take on how the pundits blew the 2016 Republican race" is available as a paperback. Please order here.

The Kindle version is available here.

Autographed copies are available for $20 (includes shipping). Email me at


  1. I was watching that speech live. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill! and lying about it! Trump heard the screaming baby and he said "I see we have a baby with us today! Isn't that wonderful. I love babies. What a beautiful baby, this is great." He just went on talking. After a short while the baby was still fussing and Trump jokingly said something like "I guess the baby is still crying!" and exactly what most anyone else would say who was giving a speech with a loud crying baby and didn't want to offend the mother but also was really getting disrupted. I understand the mother already had the baby out of room about that point. I thought nothing of it, except maybe that it was no big deal and Trump is pretty cool, not easily rattled, quite the nice guy. But the media turns it around 180 degrees and says something about Trump not liking babies. What a lie. Who would you rather have watch for 30 minutes your infant child or grandchild, Trump or hilLIARy? I would think that Trump would be bouncing the little one on his knee and making baby talk, and hilLIARy would terrify him / her.

    1. If you spell it HiLlARy, using a lower case L for the I, it will popup on internet searches. Something I learned a couple days ago.

  2. They are that desperate.

    Trump had 5 kids and seems to have been a pretty good father.

    Contrast with Cacklepants.

  3. I've known several people who were at a "story" when it happened, some of them were even quoted in the news reports. All of them without exception said that the story in the news was not what had actually happened.

    The media is not our friend. Everything they say & do is slanted, spun, twisted & manipulated when they're not outright lying.

  4. Trump may or may not have been mean to a crying baby.

    Hillary disclosed intelligence secrets about an Iranian scientist, handled the emails in such a careless way that caused the Iranian ally to be executed by the Muslim-fascist regime.

    No doubt the two events are comparable, but look which one get MSM coverage.

    Steve in Greensboro

  5. The media LIED to us? Who woulda thunk it...except everybody.

  6. The skin sack (I've seen scrota that were less disgusting) needs all the help it can get (traumatic brain injury on top of low IQ and all) so cut it some slack.

  7. What passes for the mainstream media these days is simply a conga-line of Democrat asskissers.

  8. When your baby's making a ruckus, you get him/her outta the room. That's how I was taught, anyways.

  9. Oh, and nice job Hill making it up those stairs. Fook, I've been four sheets on Peppermint Schapps and still managed a better performance than that embarrassment. But no, the story is still Trump...

    Hillary Clinton is physically, mentally, and emotionally unable to be President. Let's not kid ourselves any longer...

    1. "four sheets on Peppermint Schapps"

      Shickered, but minty fresh.

      It's a damm shame today's youngsters can't maintain standards the way we their elders did.

    2. Yeah, brother Dave, that was the night I graduated from the AFA. Still made it back to my room though! Bro Greg drove. But, as far as the next morning went...well, think norovirus. Ugh.

    3. My wife uses a cane at 62 to traverse steps. I got her a Hurry Cane, which I recommend Bill buy Hillary.

    4. Don, HiLlARy uses a Tim Kaine. Its a lot more crooked, and it will hold up her, and progress.