Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Trumping the donor class

My book credits large donors to the corruption of the conservative commentariat in Washington, which led to the congressional inertia, which triggered the Trumpvolution which many of them now emphatically oppose. Earlier this month, Peggy Noonan wrote about the donor class from personal experience.

From Noonan:
An anecdote. Two years ago at a birthday party for a mutual friend, I bumped into a hedge-fund billionaire who turned to me angrily and lashed out over something I’d written that seemed to him insufficiently conservative. I listened, merely blinking with surprise I’m sorry to say, and removed myself from his flight path. Afterward I thought about how he must have come to view himself. He is, as I said, vastly wealthy, but also generous, giving time and money to think tanks, groups, candidates. He must view all this, I thought, as a targeted investment. Maybe he sees himself as having ... a controlling investment. Maybe he thinks he bought conservatism. I felt in a sharp new way that my criticisms of the donor class had been right. Inevitably they see to their own enthusiasms and policy priorities. This was how the GOP became the party of We Don’t Care What Americans Think About Illegal Immigration. Who do those Americans think they are—they think they own the place?
Now she works for the opinion section of a newspaper that pushes the New World Order open borders nonsense of its owner. Rupert Murdoch indeed owns the place, so she may be treading on thin ice on this subject.

She says the party is divided on this.

I say the nation is.

The task for Trump is to go full populist -- to chase the money changers out of the halls of government with a rod and a whip.

Coming soon -- "Trump the Press: Don Surber's take on how the pundits blew the 2016 Republican race."


  1. Unfortunately, Peggy lost all credibility when she came out for Obigmouth and wrote that he would be a moderate.

  2. Just about everything she says is "insufficiently conservative", but I don't doubt some of the backers of people like Kristol and Beck do think they've "bought" Conservatism.

  3. Sharp analogy right at the end there, Don. Nothing ruins a church faster or more completely than a few wealthy or prestigious patrons who come to feel that they are entitled to run things. Political movements and parties are probably the same.

    1. I wonder how the Democrats feel knowing that they sold everything to Silicon Valley and the Hedge Funds?

      Probably pretty good as they heft the coins, actually. They do not need to stick around when competing billionaire objectives clash.

      -Mikey NTH

  4. The task for Trump is to go full populist -- to chase the money changers out of the halls of government with a rod and a whip.

    I suggest 100,000,000 votes. Preferably more.

  5. If our "betters" (government0 would simply enforce the immigration laws we already have this would be a non-issue. - Elric