Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Never Trump is right. They are not elite

One of the many, many, many grievances by the Never Trump crowd is that they are not elitists.

I absolutely concur.

They are not elite.

The Army Rangers are elite. They are the best of the best. 

Navy SEALs. Elite.

Marines. Elite.

Me when I was in the service? Ha Ha Ha. A joke. I couldn't even route step.

But I admire the elite. We all do. Television is filled with shows now about lumberjacks, fishermen, car mechanics -- people who are the best at their jobs. They live in fascinating worlds exuding a competence that requires no boast or compliment to validate itself.

And then we have these people in Washington who are on television every night dispensing political wisdom and they are terrible at it. Horrible. All last summer they said Trump couldn't win the primaries. Now they say he cannot win in November, and some of them want to see that he does not.

Never Trump they exclaim over and over and over again. They preen about their principles. But just what are their principles? Fair play? Hardly. They keep wanting to hijack the convention.

They are not the best of the best because they are pretty lousy. Like the global warming alarmists, every prediction is wrong, just plain wrong. I detail this in my book of course.

But to call George Will or Charles Krauthammer elitists is to imply a success they have not achieved in a long, long time.

When I think of elite political punditry, I think of bloggers:
Glenn Reynolds
Jim Hoft
Ed Morrissey
Power Line
Taki Theodoracopulos
There are others, sure. I could devote a whole post to about 100 names, but then that would not be a listing of the elite. They are the best researchers, best writers and the best thinkers. Not a liberal in the crowd. All of them saw Trump coming a mile away.

No one on the Fox News All-Stars saw him when he was standing next to them.

My point is that people are confusing snobbery and myopia for elitism. Let me get to the point: If Barack Obama were a conservative, he'd fit right in with the Never Trump crowd.

On Sale on July 1 -- "Trump the Press: Don Surber's take on how the pundits blew the 2016 Republican race."

9 comments:

  1. Don, it pains me to disagree with you, but I would not include Powerline Blog in your list of elite political punditry. At least not if you are trying to exclude NeverTrumps from the list. Paul and Steven at PLB spout the NeverTrump line, John not so much. I still read their blog so they are not totally on the dark side in my view.

    Anxiously waiting to get your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Glenn is on my morning must-read list, as are you Big D. He just has so many signature tags...

    They told me that if I voted for...and they were right!

    All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

    It's Potemkin Villages all the way down.

    Laws are for the little people.

    Faster, please.

    I could go on, but Harlan absolutely knows what he's doing. Good post Don.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott Adams of "Dilbert" fame has arguably been one of the best pundits of this election season. He has been pushing his "Master Persuader" hypothesis as part of Trump's success as well as very astutely identifying his approach to define and attack his political competitors.

    Scroll through his blog history. He had Trump nailed way back last August. A far better track record than these DIABLO (Democrat in all but Label Only) ersatz "conservatives".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I have to agree with Holding My Nose, that's the only point I have to quibble with from your post, Don. Powerline has been anti-Trump, which is fine...but after Trump wrapped things up, they've continued to follow the NeverTrump train off the deep end.

    They're fine fellows over at PWL, but they're lawyers and 'intellectuals' would would rather win etiquette points and lose a battle. And they don't understand the principle that one needs to support the most conservative candidate that can win - DT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taki is the only one on your list that makes it to my homepage besides you. I dropped instapundit because of Ed Driscoll, and have never thought that much of Morrissey. Dropped Hoft because he's gay (I don't think taking counsel from perverts is a wise thing to do. It's one thing to take it in ignorance of the fact, but after you know it's inexcusable).

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...couldn't even route step." LOL Wonder how many of your non-vet readers will pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I caught it but decided that, in the name of decorum and out of respect for our esteemed Mr. Surber, some comments are better left unsaid. - Elric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's analyze that word "elite", because the problem lies with the pronunciation it's being given.

    "E-LITE"

    "E-" ... a prefix related to all things electronic, specifically with being on the Web and Twitter.

    "LITE" ... Weak, understrength, or low quality stuff. See "lite beer".

    So there you have it. Pronunciation-wise, these guys aren't "e-leets", they're "e-lights".

    ReplyDelete