Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Why I am not buying a lottery ticket



I have nothing against gambling. I have nothing against the state holding them. I have nothing against losing.

My fear is that I would win the damned thing.

Then what?

Look at Andrew Jackson Whittaker Jr.of Hurricane, West Virginia (about 15 miles from Poca)  -- better known as Jack Whittaker. In December 2002, he won what at the time the largest Powerball jackpot ever, which was advertised as $314.9 million, but worth only $83 million after taxes when taken on a lump sum.

Only $83 million? What am I talking about? It was a ton of money, and Whittaker paid for every cent. The windfall proved to be his downfall.

He set up a foundation, and bout a house and a brand new SUV for the clerk who sold him the winning ticket. But his personal life was already had cracks in it, and the money was too large a load for him to bear. Within a month, he had a DUI.

He started going to the Pink Pony, a former Dairy Queen turned into a strip joint. Someone stole his SUV parked at the Pink Pony, which contained his briefcase that contained $545,000 in cash.

He had a wife, a daughter and a granddaughter. He lavished money on all three.

On September 17, 2003, her boyfriend was found dead in their home following a drug party. On December 9, 2003, she died of a drug overdose. She was 17. Money pays for a lot of parties when you are 17.

Within a year of winning, his life was a mess, as he was rolled by strippers and their boyfriends, and drugs killed his granddaughter.

The pre-lottery win Jack Whittaker was a far better man than I am. I can only imagine what four times as much money (the jackpot is now $1.4 billion) would do to me.

So you play the lottery. I'll keep my money -- and I will pray that you lose.

You are welcome.

14 comments:

  1. You could endow WVU with a School Of Real-Life Journalism and have a life-time teaching gig for Truth, Beauty, Justice, and The American Way! (You'd be great.)

    But I hear you; I'm not buying a ticket either. I'm happy with the life I have, so why complicate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The university would misuse the money and it would end up going to liberals.

      Delete
  2. I'm willing to live with some complications. However, won't pray to win. Do pray that who ever does win does some good with the windfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have faith, Don, that you would be much wiser than ol' Jack Whittaker. I think I would fare much better as well. I'd like to test my theory. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lord. Please let me prove that money won't change me. I promise to keep my private islands, boats and planes in precisely the same state of disrepair as my current abode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think of all the convertibles you could buy if you won: red ones, blue ones, white ones, black ones, yellow ones, green ones. Why, you could drive a different car each day of the year and never have to fill the gas tank when you ran out: when the dial read empty, you could just switch to a different one that's got a full tank. You need to think this thing through, Don. I say, sleep on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I have the convertible already and gas is <$2 a gallon

      Delete
  6. Just one of many sad stories of lottery winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what would the major Powerball jackpot do to the 3 winners splitting 1.5bn dollars. Surely they won't 500 mln after the taxation still the sum is hardly imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats why you have to play and try to predict Australian Lotto Results. In this country there are no taxation on lottery prizes.

      Delete
    2. Did you succeed at least once or half-way?

      Delete
  8. It is a problem but not a huge one in fact. Responsible gaming is not something utopical. There are numerous experts available to give a piece of advice and help to manage the huge money. The people asking themselves such questions as you do won't have problems with that, I guess. PlayhugeLottos review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. It mostly concerns the personal willpower.

      Delete
    2. Being a father of a big family I can not afford wasting money , especially for lottery and gambling. Still sometimes I dream about winning lottery and even choose the numbers for French Lotto draws and later check them against the official French Lotto results. As it turns out I would have lost more than won.

      Delete