Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Hoplophobia in Utah



Rachel Borup, a white woman and freelance writer in Utah, wrote a hysterical column in the Salt Lake City Tribune:
Last weekend I took my 9-year-old on a mother-daughter date to Fashion Place Mall. As we sat in the crowded food court enjoying an ice cream, two white men in their early 20s walked by our table, each wearing jeans, a tucked-in T-shirts and a prominently displayed gun in its holster. The men walked slowly and seemed to enjoy the fact that people in the food court were visibly alarmed by their conspicuous exhibition of weapons.
My immediate response was fear for my and my daughter's lives. We have all seen the tragedies in the news. We've heard how these incidents play out; a man calmly walks into a crowded public space with a gun and begins shooting innocent people at random. These acts of unconscionable violence are so common and numerous in the U.S. that we refer to them in shorthand by their location: Columbine, Fort Hood, Newtown, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Charleston, Isla Vista, Trolley Square.
Heart pounding, I took my daughter's hand and quickly walked away from the area fearing that today our photos would be the ones in the news, and people would say of us, "They just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time." Upset at leaving her ice cream, my daughter resisted and asked where we were going. When I told her that some men in the food court had guns and it wasn't safe to stay there, her eyes got big with fear, she squeezed my hand and hastened her steps. As soon as we got out of the area, I called mall security and reported the situation.
Her fears are a phobia. White women are among the least likely murder victims in America.

From Psychology Today: "Based on Uniform Crime Report (UCR) data between 1980 and 2008, males represented 77 percent of all homicide victims and females represented the remaining twenty-three percent of victims. The victimization rate for males (11.6 per 100,000 persons) was nearly four times higher than the rate for females (3.4 per 100,000)."

Black males are the most likely murder victims in America, representing about half the homicide victims annually.

Now if she were a black male, she still should not worry. White people account for 7% of black people who are murdered.

2 comments:

  1. Those open-carriers know they can be seen. Those with bad intent are going to keep their pistols concealed until they begin shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with open carry. I just think that a bad guy would shoot them first. I prefer concealed.

    ReplyDelete