Please purchase "Trump the Press" through Create Space.

The book is on Kindle. Order here.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Someone tell Mike Huckabee we passed the 13th Amendment

Republican Mike Huckabee says the Dred Scott decision is still the law of the land.

Huckabee is 100 percent wrong.

That was the decision that caused Abraham Lincoln to return to politics after a highly successful career as a trial lawyer.

From the Hill:
Mike Huckabee on Thursday said the Dred Scott decision denying U.S. citizenship to African-Americans is the law of the land.
Huckabee mentioned the Supreme Court decision as he defended Kentucky clerk Kim Davis’s decision to defy the court’s ruling on gay marriage and refuse to issue marriage licenses.
No, no, no.

The Republican Party overturned the Dred Scott decision with ratification of the 13th Amendment, which banned slavery and just to make sure even the most ignorant person in Arkansas still didn't get it, the 14th and 15th amendments as well.


  1. I don't think preachers (or priests, or rabbis, or imams, or idads, or whatever type of religion leader) should be elected to public office. That includes religious leaders of the environmental religion and the "I hate America" religion.

    1. I disagree. This is so wrong I don't know where to start.

    2. Please start somewhere. Why is this wrong? Too often our religious leaders' tunnel vision overwhelms. Other times, trying to overcome that tunnelvision has them go too far in other directions.

      I accept your disagreeing with me, but I'd sure like to be enlightened as to why.

      If I remember correctly, even the Pope directed that catholic clergy and religious weren't supposed to run for public office. There was a priest who was in the house of representatives during watergate and I remember how irritated I was seeing him sidle along a row of seats in his clerical black suit and roman collar. That's just inappropriate garb, in my mind, for when you're acting in a secular political situation. And I'm Catholic.

  2. From a guy who is normally knowledgable and wise, I thought that was a very strange and ignorant thing for Mike Huckabee to say.

    Yet, even before those 3 'civil war' amendments were passed (by republicans, btw), the civil war itself literally blew up the Dred Scott decision, and drenched it in the blood of 600,000 soldiers, North and South.

    1. I would sure like to see the context--I don't know the man well and don't agree with much I have heard from him, but this does not pass the smell test.

  3. I didn't see him say it and I'm not a Huckabee supporter trying to bail him out, but wonder if he was trying to make the point that Supreme Court is not infallible. I know I've cited that case among others in responding to people who assert that an issue is settled law because Supreme Court ruled such & such. Court's final answer is final - until it isn't final anymore. The legality or illegality of some things have nothing to do with whether thoses things are morally right or wrong.