LANGUAGE WARNING: Quote from "50 Shades of Grey" included in No. 2.
1. Beijing police are canceling music concerts, fundraisers and other events around the city, stoking worries that authorities are cracking down on any large gatherings deemed politically risky.
Or after Wednesday's closed stadium ballgame, we call it going Full Baltimore.
2. A fetish party attendee is blowing the whistle on a bondage-themed event she says would shock even the authors of "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Really? The English language would shock whoever wrote that book.
3. The dawn of a new era of space travel may be upon us after Amazon's Jeff Bezos successfully tested a vehicle that will take tourists into space.
10-year-old Donald Surber thought we would be doing that by 2000. What happened?
Oh yes, we went through that spending-money-on-Earth-fixing-our-problems thing. So, how are Baltimore and Ferguson doing after spending the trillions in urban renewal and the like?
4. Will the Apple Watch’s coolest feature work for people of color?
Crayola stopped calling its peach crayon "flesh" in 1962. Time? Apple, do you even know the year?
5. An investigation into the death of Baltimore resident Freddie Gray has found no evidence that his fatal injuries were caused during the videotaped arrest and interaction with police officers, according to multiple law enforcement sources.
Once again, President Obama's racial injustice scenario proves to be One Big Fat Stinking Lie.
6. Saudi Arabia burns through foreign reserves.
Thank you, George Phydias Mitchell. You are in The Book!.
7. Meat dating to the year of President Obama’s first inauguration was served to students in some Hawkins County, Tennessee schools last week. Hawkins County Commissioner Michael Herrell was alerted after a cafeteria worker sent him a photo of the pork roast they used for school meals was from 2009.
Don't tell them about the woolly mammoth they dug up in Russia last week.
8. ABC: Global warming will eventually push 1 out of every 13 species on Earth into extinction, a new study projects.
NYT: Climate change could drive to extinction as many as one in six animal and plant species, according to a new analysis.
Do I hear 1 in 5? 1 in 5? 1 in 5? No? Going, going... GONE, to the little Gray Lady with the Obama button.
9. Martin O’Malley hurts nonexistent presidential chances with Baltimore visit.
He will do for America what he did for Maryland.
10. Less than a week after former NFL star and University of Maryland alumnus Boomer Esiason threatened to cut off his support for the school over the cancellation of screenings of the film American Sniper on campus, the school confirmed a new screening of the movie has been scheduled.
Finally, they got something right in the Old Line state.
11. Public employees will only have to work six hours a day until further notice, and police units will be sent to inspect private businesses to ensure they only use their allotted amounts. Venezuelan Vice President Jorge Arreaza blamed the measures on climate change.
Climate change: the Dog Ate My Homework of the 21st century.
12, Weather in Poca, West Virginia, today, bleah.
From the blog:
13. Bernie Sanders brings wealth of 19th century ideas to Democratic presidential sweepstakes. GOOD.
14. Riots show liberal programs failed. GOOD.
15. A university stands up to unpatriotic students. GOOD.
Final score: GOOD 8, EVIL 7.
Today's American Vignette: Helen Taussig saved the blue babies.
NOTE: The first volume of Exceptional Americans, published by Amazon's Create Space, is now available.